Monday, May 24, 2010

The Real McCoy



Living in Eastern Scarborough, I am almost embarrassed that I have never headed over to The Real McCoy for a burger.
Especially when I realized how close to home this place was (1033 Markham Road Scarborough, ON M1H 2Y5 - (416) 439-6804)
Problem was for a while any time I had free that I might want to try a new burger place was always a Sunday, and they happen to be closed Sundays.
At first I thought "what kind of a burger shop is closed on Sundays?"but after visiting the place I realized that it really is a mom and pop shop, it was run by an older couple and their son, all of them were super friendly too.

I was tempted by the Mojo Burger (there is a banner up about some award the burger won them from the now defunct Mojo Radio) but there was no explanation about what a Mojo Burger was, so I just went with a standard burger, fries (added gravy) and pop combo.
If memory serves correct it was around $8.00
Girlfriend was there too, we got an order of onion rings to split and a chicken burger for her.

Order came up good and quick, I started off sampling the onion rings, I loved them, they are the old fashioned hand dipped kind (was very happy to find them as almost everyone uses the frozen McCain rings now).
The flavor was perfect, the outside had a perfect crunch, while the onion inside was still soft, and they were not overly greasy either.
In short, they were perfect onion rings.

Next I had to try the fries, I am not sure if these guys cut their own potatoes, but they sure taste like it, the gravy was the old style that I like best too.

Then on to the main event, for some time I have been going to Johnny's Burgers at Victoria Park and Sheppard whenever the urge for a burger hit, but this burger changed my mind.
The bun was so fresh I was looking for the oven they must have just baked it in, I cannot remember having such a soft bun anywhere in the city.
Meat was really nice too, and cooked perfectly.

I really enjoyed the Real McCoy, and look forward to going back to try the Mojo Burger (overheard the explanation while eating, it is a home made burger topped with cheese and bacon).


No comments: