Monday, August 25, 2008

CNE



So I spent the entire weekend at the CNE.




I love the ex, I've been going since I was old enough to walk (except for one year when I was in the hospital) so I have tonnes of great memories from there.
My mom and grandmother (Both now passed on) would take my brother and I, so giong back now kind of allows me to relive some of those memories.



One memory that really lives on is eating at the CNE lol.
When we were kids my mom would give my brother and I $20.00 to spend however we liked in the food building, and man did we ever stretch that $20.00.

One of the best things I remember trying was from the booths that used to be outside the food building, the were called "Around The World" and each booth would feature food from a different part of the world.
I went to the France booth and tried the cheesiest looking thing I could find, they called it cheese fondue, but looking back all it was is pizza on a french stick, but man when I was a kid it was so exotic (it was a french stick halved and basted with some tomato sauce a few pepperonis and a bunch of cheese)

The days of exotic food at the CNE are pretty well gone now.
The food building is nothing like it once was, it's pretty much just a big food court now.

I think a great idea would be for the CNE to stop selling the booths in there to the highest bidder and instead try and get some smaller mom and pop restaurants in there, hit up the big food manufacturers to set up some sampling booths in there, and let them all set up shop at a reduced cost, if they started offering something you can't get at any mall in the GTA people would start looking forward to going in there again, rather than going because they need to eat people would go because they were excited about what was inside.

No comments: